Cuero is named after a small creek which is located north of town called Cuero Creek. The Spanish explorers named it Arroyo del Cuero, or Creek of the Rawhide, in reference to the Indians’ practice of drying out cow hides in the creek bed. The English translation for the Spanish word "raw hide" became the town's name.
Cuero’s story begins when it was founded in 1873; once a roundup point for a leg of the Chisholm Trail, Cuero was a true “wild west” outpost where women and children were forbidden out after dark. It was an unruly place until the arrival of Indianola residents following the devastating hurricanes of 1875 and 1886. Many Indianola homes and businesses were disassembled and moved inland to Cuero.
By the turn of the century, Cuero was a thriving, bustling city. Much of the beautiful architecture from that era still remains. Over 50 buildings and homes, most notably the DeWitt County Courthouse, are registered on the state and national registers of historic places.
Today, Cuero is the seat of DeWitt County, a bountiful agricultural area that is among the state’s leaders in cattle and calves; pecans, peaches, and fresh vegetables, and the heart of the Eagleford Shale’s natural oil and gas production.
Cuero, TX 77954