Top 10 Things to Do in Canyon Lake, Texas
1. Travel back in time at the Heritage Museum of the Texas Hill Country where you'll find the local area history, a native plant trail, a large collection of historical artifacts and some of the most prolific dinosaur tracks in the state.
2. Step into a geological wonder at the Canyon Lake Gorge where you'll witness modern geological history and the astounding beauty and power of nature.
3. Cruise down Scenic River Road as it meanders across the river four times under a lush canopy of trees on its way to New Braunfels. The natural beauty of the river and its surroundings, along with the historic ranches and modern vacation resorts are a sight to behold.
4. Grab a walking stick, a bicycle or a horse and discover one of the many Hiking Trails and Parks Canyon Lake has to offer. You'll find trails that cross Canyon Dam, trails that wind with the Guadalupe River and trails that line the lake shore. Pack a picnic and finish up at the awesome Overlook Park.
5. "Toob" the Guadalupe River...if you aren't aware of this pastime, hit just about any spot on the river and find out for yourself! We promise it'll be worth the trip.
6. Music enthusiasts will want to check out Whitewater River Amphitheater, a world class venue overlooking the river with the stage in the forefront, and offering up talent from the likes of Kevin Fowler to Ghostland Observatory.
7. Launch (or rent) your boat and explore the thousands of acres of crystal water and 80 miles of canyon shoreline around Canyon Lake, then hit up the Baja BBQ Shack; a lakeside restaurant overlooking the 400-slip marina and boasting a freshly innovative menu and friendly service. Dine in, or have it delivered dock-side!
8. Any time of year in Canyon Lake, you'll find Festivals of every kind. From Jerry Bob's Fish Fry and Shrimpfest to Harvestfest and Halloweenfest to the Annual Canyon Lake BBQ Cook Off or the North Pole Village, there's something for everyone, in every season.
9. Visit Historic Gruene, Texas where they've been "Gently Resisting Change Since 1872" and visit Texas' Oldest dance hall, spend the day shopping the boutiques and enjoying their free music shows.
10. Canyon Lake is just lucky enough to be perched at the heart of the Texas Hill Country. From here, you're less than a couple hours from some of the Hill Country's most popular destinations, including Bandera, Kerrville and Fredericksburg, and mere minutes from Wimberley, New Braunfels and downtown San Antonio.