Alpine, TX 79830
Things To Do in the Texas Mountain Trail Region
• Climb to the South Rim in the Chisos Mountains of Big Bend National Park, one of America’s largest, most remote parks.
• Scale the 8,749-foot Guadalupe Peak in Guadalupe Mountains National Park, the highest point in Texas.
• Survey the universe at McDonald Observatory in the Davis Mountains, one of the best spots in the nation for stargazing.
• Float the wild and scenic Rio Grande River, which flows through and beyond Big Bend National Park. River runners travel through famous canyons Santa Elena, Boquillas and Mariscal.
• View the Marfa Lights, the unexplained phenomenon that draws thousands of travelers annually. The lights appear over the former site of Marfa Army Air Field, a World WarII flight training base, although only the airfield’s front gate is evident near the Marfa Lights viewing station.
• Visit our communities. Far West Texas is like no other place on earth! Travelers experience one of a kind cities and towns throughout the region such as Terlingua, Alpine, Marfa, Marathon, Fort Davis, Presidio, Lajitas, Van Horn and El Paso.
• Get Outside! The Texas Mountain Trail Region boasts five national parks and historic sites, and nine regional state parks and historic sites -- more than any other region in the state. Take the scenic route through these natural wonders or stop by for hiking, biking, bird watching, wildlife viewing, rafting, camping and history lessons.
• Stay in an Historic Hotel. Railroads reached Far West Texas in the early 1880s, and visitors in need of lodging soon followed. Lavish hotels sprang up throughout the region. For nearly a century these hotels served as hubs for cattlemen, ranchers and miners, while welcoming cross-country travelers.
Alpine, TX 79830